We are located at Favoritenstrasse 9–11, 1040 Vienna on the third floor of the building. The main entrance to our floor is via Staircase 3 (“Stiege 3”). At the door, use the telephone to call the person you’re visiting or one of our secretaries who will let you in. View Map
The following hotels that are located very close (less than 5 minutes walk) to VCLA:
If you are on a tight budget you might want to consider the recently opended city hostel Wombats. They offer single rooms for about €30, rooms shared by several people are even much cheaper. Please make sure to select “THE NASCHMARKT” as other branches of the hostel are located further away.
Visitors should be aware about Visa requirements, and should plan travel well in advance (processing of a visa request can take up to 6 weeks). Austria is a Schengen Country, i.e. citizens of signatory states do not require a visa for a stay up to three months in length. For further information on obtaining a Visa, please refer to the Ministry for European and International Affairs. Should a letter of invitation be required as part of a Visa application, please contact us including the following data:
- Full name (as written in the passport)
- Affiliation: organization/company name
- Mailing address and fax number
- Birth date and place of birth
- Passport number and passport expiration date
- Whether you need an original copy of the letter, a scan, or if the letter has to be faxed directly to the responsible embassy (depends on your country’s regulations)
- Vienna International Airport (VIE)
Vienna Airport (VIE) is located south-east of the city and is served by all major airlines. For flight information, an airport map, as well as information of transportation into the city center visit the airport’s website. See below how to get to the city center.
- Arrival from Bratislava Airport (BTS), Slovakia
Bratislava Airport (BTS) in Slovakia is within 1-2 hours distance to Vienna. Both buses and trains connect Bratislava and Vienna, e.g. the airport bus Bratislava.
From Vienna Airport to the city center
- The City Airport Train (CAT) links the airport to subway station Wien Mitte where you can change to subway lines U3 and U4, as well as to tram and buses (see below for information on the public transport in Vienna). When using the CAT service you can already check in at the train station Wien Mitte for certain flights when departing from Vienna. It costs about €11 for a one-way and €17 for a return trip. Have a look at the timetable. Note that tickets for underground, trams, or local buses are not included in this price.
- A standard train connection (Schnellbahn S7) between the airport and Wien Mitte is also available (tickets €4.40 one-way, including underground and bus in Vienna). Be sure to buy “2 zones” from the vending machine. If you buy a separate ticket for Vienna, you need only “1 zone” (€2.20). Have a look at the timetable.
- Vienna AirportLines offer buses to Schwedenplatz (subway lines U1 and U4) and Westbahnhof (westbound train station, connection to U3) and Wien Meidling (southbound train station). Tickets cost €8 (single) to €13 (return). Tickets for underground, trams, or local buses are not included in this price.
- A taxi to the city center costs between €30 and €40. Some companies like C&K offer taxis, limos or shuttles for a flat rate starting from €32.
For train connections to Vienna, consult the time table of the Austrian federal railway company (ÖBB). There are direct services to many central European cities.
Vienna public transport
There are several kinds of tickets: A ticket for a single trip costs €2.00 and can be used for any single trip within Vienna. You may change lines, but you may not interrupt your journey. Season tickets for one or several days may be more convinient. More information:
- online timetable
- tourist folder including tickets options and metro/train map (PDF)
- public transport city center (PDF)
You can reach VCLA via the following lines:
- Subway line U1 at Taubstummengasse
Take the exit Taubstummengasse, cross Taubstummengasse and walk past the pharmacy to your right.
- Tram lines 1 and 62 and Badner Bahn (WLB) at Wien Paulanergasse
Walk along Paulanergasse, cross Favoritenstraße and walk downwards for about 100 meters (map).
From Karlsplatz station (walking distance, approx. 8 minutes):
- Subway lines U1, U2, U4 at Karlsplatz
Follow the signs towards the line U4 and – once you see them – to exit Resselpark. Cross the park towards the church and follow this map to VCLA.
- Bus line 4A at Karlsplatz (Resselpark)
Walk towards the pavilion, cross the park towards the curch and follow this map to VCLA.
- Tram line 2 at Karlsplatz (Bösendorferstraße)
The tram holds a bit north of Karlsplatz subway station. Walk south on Akademiestraße, cross the Ringstrasse and follow this map to VCLA.
An extensive account of travel information for Vienna can be found on the official webpage of the a Vienna Tourist Board. The webpage of the city of Vienna offers all sorts of informations on Vienna (including tourist information). Some of the main sights in Vienna include: Stephansdom (St. Stephen’s Cathedral), Schloss Schönbrunn, the National Library, the Austrian Parliament, the Wiener Prater with the famous Giant Ferris Wheel, Museumsquartier, several museums are located here or nearby, for instance Kunsthistorisches Museum. Sights near the venue include Belvedere, Karlskirche, Secession, Musikverein, Vienna State Opera, Albertina, and Naschmarkt.
We also recommend