Post-doc position in Applied Logic (1 year)
Do you have a PhD in computer science, logic, mathematics or equivalent? Are you interested in applying formal reasoning to medicine? Then this one-year position might be of interest to you.
The Medical University of Vienna, the Vienna University of Technology (VUT) and a private company jointly develop a medical decision support system prototype that assists in diagnosing certain diseases and serves as a training platform. Its key components are a comprehensive medical knowledge base (for a particular area), a clinical algorithm for diagnosing diseases, and a reasoning component based on computational logic.
As member of the Theory and Logic group (Faculty of Informatics, VUT) your task will be to co-develop the reasoning component. Based on symptoms provided by medical practitioners it computes a ranked lists of possible diagnoses. Most likely we will use methods from computational logic and fuzzy/vague reasoning, but you should be open to apply other formal methods as well.
– PhD in computer science, formal logic, or mathematics
– Interest in computational logic (as documented by publications)
– Fluency in English
– Programming skills sufficient for writing experimental code to evaluate ideas. (The final implementation will be done by the company, though.)
Some knowledge of German will be useful since you will be working in Vienna, Austria, but is no requirement.
Salary (40h/week employment): EUR 48.000,- pre-tax per year
Duration: 1 year
Application deadline: September 30, 2013
Start of position: November 2013 or later
Send inquiries and your application to ta.cigolnull@3102codtsop.
The application should consist of
– curriculum vitae
– list of publications
– scan of graduation diploma and/or other relevant certificates
– letter of motivation (Why are you interested in this position? Why are you qualified?)
– recommendation letters or references (optional)
Gernot Salzer, 31 July 2013